An automatic weather station (AWS) is an automated version of the traditional weather station, either to save human labor or to enable measurements from remote areas. An AWS will typically consist of a weather-proof enclosure containing the data logger, rechargeable battery, telemetry and the meteorological sensors with an attached solar panel with charge controller and mounted upon a mast.
This weather station consists of the following sensor:
Temperature and humidity sensor
Solar radiation sensor (pyranometer)
Wind speed sensor
Wind direction sensor
It also consists of microcontroller, GPRS modem, solar panel, charge controller, battery and external GSM antenna. Microcontroller uses signal conditioning unit to collect data from various sensors and uses GPRS modem to push data to IoT cloud. There are two ways to monitor data: Through mobile application and wave dashboard.
Wind speed sensor: 0 to 250 km/h
Wind direction sensor: 0to 360 degree
Rainfall sensor: Unlimited
Solar radiation sensor(pyranometer): 0 to 2000 W/m2
Temperature and humidity sensor: Temperature range 0 to 100 °C.
Humidity range 0 to 100 % RH.
Power supply unit: 12volt, 20Ah
Solar panel: 12volt, 40watt.
· It can automatically record maximum and minimum values for a range of weather parameters through each day and keep track, for example, of total monthly and yearly rainfall.
· All current weather readings can be seen from indoors, at a glance and at any time.
· Reading scan be easily taken direct from the visual display.
· It can run for weeks and months without attention whilst continuously recording all details of the weather.
· Comprehensive statistics can be automatically calculated and analyzed.
· Detailed weather conditions may be viewed at any distance from the station itself, for example over the Internet through android mobile application.
Operation of automatic weather station
Placeany SIM card with activated internet pack in to the SIM card slot provided in the control panel.
Make sure the external antenna should be put in vertical direction and as far as possible from any sharp metallic object and the power source/control panel.
Connect positive and negative terminal of battery to load positive and negative terminal of charge controller.
Please make sure all terminal connectors are tightly connected.
Switch on the power switch provided in control panel.
Wait for network status LED to turn on.
At this point the weather station will be fully operational.
Now the data can be seen via the registered mobile phone application and its dashboard.
· Portable and easily installable.
· It’s IP65grade enclosure is suitable for harsh environmental condition.
· Automatic weather station designed with quality components promises longer life cycle of the implement.
· It provides accurate and frequent readings, have low power requirements, and can operate practically anywhere.
· Sharing information in the cloud.
· All components of automatic weather station consume very less power hence contribute towards the power saving.
· Inbuilt mechanism for automatic network search and identification.
· Solar energy is being used to power weather station.
· The inbuilt battery inside weather station control panel insures continuous working 4 days even in cloudy condition.
· Automatic weather station is spare parts redundant for maintenance and calibration.
· Provides accurate measurement of current weather conditions for particular location and surroundings.
· Provide possibility to view historical data and make long-term statistical analyses and also graphs of data since installation, including calculations of minimum and maximum values.
· No additional costs or fees associated with operating the station or publishing data on the Internet.
· All this can be viewed not just on a PC or laptop, but also smartphones, tablets or any other device that has access to the internet via an Internet browser.
· Only trained technician should be allowed for the installation of automatic weather station.
· Don’t interfere the wiring of weather station during its operation.
· Keep the distance between solar panel and charge controller as minimum as possible.
· Keep the distance between charge controller and battery as minimum as possible.
· Make sure the height of GPRS antenna should be minimum 2 meter from ground level.
· Use foamed and bubbled packaging box to transport this device to avoid any physical damage.
· The farmer and end users should be properly trained for android application and weather station operation.
· Before making installation or changes make sure the power supply is completely disconnected/removed.
· The solar panel positive and negative terminal should be connected with positive and negative solar labeled terminal of charge controller.
· There should not be any obstacle nearby rainfall sensor which may prevent incoming rain.
General safety suggestions include:
· Read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for operation.
· Don’t remove or modify safety features.
· Ensure that everyone working on the farm is thoroughly familiar with operating procedures and safety requirements of weather station.
· Never use solar panel exceeding 40-watt power rating.
· Use of ESD gloves should be recommended for installation.
· Provide fencing structure around the weather station to avoid damages which may be caused by anyone.
· Do not install automatic weather station near any mobile tower and electric pole.
· Repair and replacement of component should be done with appropriate ratings and by authorized person.
· Always use insulated tools for installation and replacement of any parts.
· During installation of weather station, first connect the battery to the charge controller and then later on connect solar panel.
During uninstallation/repairing first disconnect the solar panel and then later on the battery.